The North Carolina Community College Association (NCCCLA) Advocacy Committee strives to raise awareness of community college library needs and justify budget requests by spotlighting the critical role of libraries in student success, faculty and staff support, and community engagement. The Committee works to achieve these goals by:
- Sharing advocacy opportunities and success stories with NCCCLA members.
- Collection and dissemination of quantitative and qualitative data.
- Engagement with organizations (such as the North Carolina Association for Community College Presidents [NCACCP]) and legislators.
- Collaboration with other library organizations to promote the adoption of legislation which benefits libraries and librarianship, including planning and promotion of State Legislative Days.
- Inclusion of outside stakeholders and subject experts within the Committee.
- Development of a white paper advocating for community college library funding and staffing, to be presented to NCACCP.
- Expansion of the Committee’s online presence.
- Collection of brief (1-3 minute) library user testimonial videos (please share yours with us!).
- Partnership with the State Library to collect and compile data.
Presidential Liaison – Dr. Rachel Desmarais, Vance-Granville CC
Chair – Rich Garafolo, Lenoir CC
District 1 Representative 2020-2022 – Carol Anne Hankinson, Roanoke-Chowan CC
District 2 Representative 2021-2023 – Michelle Milliken, Sampson CC
District 3 Representative 2020-2022 – Christy Earp, Wilkes CC
District 4 Representative 2021-2023 – Catherine Lee, Cape Fear CC
District 5 Representative 2021-2023 – Gloria Kelly, Central Piedmont CC
District 6 Representative 2021-2023 – Tina Adams, Southwestern CC
At-Large Members 2020-2022 – Donna Windish, Randolph CC and Sarah Sowa, Mitchell CC
Dr. Anthony Chow, professor at UNCG and co-chair for the NCLA Legislative and Advocacy Committee
*Amanda Johnson, State Library of North Carolina, Data Analysis and Communications Consultant
NCCCLA President – Samantha O’Connor – Central Carolina CC
Past Chair – Jennifer Seagraves – Johnston CC
Ex Officio – Libby Stone – Gaston CC
CCCCLA Chair – Staci Wilson – Catawba Valley CC
Director Learning Resources Center, Lenoir CC
Phone: (252) 527-6223 Ext. 504
You must be logged in to post a comment.